From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Undefined cases in version policy
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:13:49
1 On 02/28/04 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > as I was rewriting the code used for verifying and comparing versions
6 > I noticed a case that's not covered in the docs, let's use the example
7 > where foo has the following versions available:
8 > foo-1.0b
9 > foo-1.0.1
10 > Now the question is: Which version is considered newer?
11 > As I had no idea and though that we didn't have this case in the tree
12 > I started a small poll in #gentoo-dev and achieved a 4:0 vote for
13 > foo-1.0b being newer than foo-1.0.1, so I went on and implemented it
14 > this way. Now while testing I noticed that a) current code handles
15 > this the other direction and b) we actually have 2 packages that are
16 > affected by this: app-arch/arj and media-video/kavi2svcd.
17 >
18 > So I'm sending this mail to get some more opinions about this. If
19 > anyone is curious, the actual code and test scripts are on bug #37406.
20
21 Man, I feel so stupid now: I explained it all backwards, current portage
22 thinks foo-1.0b is newer than foo-1.0.1 while the rewrite thinks the
23 opposite. So current portage handles those two packages wrong and the
24 rewrite would handle it right (according to the dates in the Changelog)
25 Marius
26
27 PS: I hate it when that happens.
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.