From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:27:03
1 On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 02:57:39PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 2021-11-28 11:06:36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > >
4 > > While the rationale for static allocation that made it into GLEP 81 [1]
5 > > is rather weak, several people had argued in favour of it on the mailing
6 > > list [2].
9 > We don't even do static allocation. The UIDs and GIDs in the ebuilds
10 > are suggestions, meant to benefit the people who will benefit from
11 > them, and be ignored by everyone else.
12 >
13 > There are a few exceptional cases where a user or group needs a
14 > specific identifier; but those were always statically allocated and
15 > nothing has changed in that regard.
16
17 Doesn't the emerge fail if a different user with ACCT_USER_ID already exists on
18 the system (unless ACCT_USER_ID is set to -1, which is forbidden by qa policy)?
19
20 If that's the case I don't see how we aren't doing static allocation.
21
22 William