From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc3 and linux-kernel
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:23:19
1 Anyone else who experience problems compiling the kernel with
2 gentoo-1.4_beta and gcc3? Myself I've had touble both with gcc-3.1.1-r1
3 and gcc-3.2.
4
5 Problem spec:
6 No errors untill "make modules_install"
7
8 /* Many lines featuring the same scenario as beneath for other .o-files */
9 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
10 /lib/modules/2.4.20-pre4/kernel/fs/vfat/vfat.o
11 /* and a lot of lines here beginning with "depmod: " */
12 make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
13
14 With gcc-3.2 I've tried gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r7, vanilla-sources-2.4.19
15 and vanilla-sources-2.4.20_pre-r4 (which I wrote myself for testing the
16 most recent kernel prerelease.)
17
18 Ergo: the compilation itself pass by without any alerting messages that
19 I've noticed (anyway I probably wouldn't because it's compiling unattended
20 so it would require an exit before I would see it.) It's the module
21 installation that exit. Not sure if it is because depmod is broken, or if
22 there is anything else - most of the time programs compile without errors
23 so playing with this is not like playing in my backyard...
24
25 Looking forward to hearing if anyone has experienced the same and know how
26 to solve this issue :)
27
28 Christian