From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 00:37:17
1 180109 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > During the last Gentoo council meeting, the decision was made
3 > to implement changes to the gentoo-dev mailing list [1].
4 > These changes affect only the gentoo-dev mailing list
5 > and will come into effect on 23 January 2018.
6 >
7 > * Subscribing to the list and receiving list mail remains as it is now.
8 > * Posting to the list will only be possible to Gentoo developers and
9 > whitelisted additional participants.
10 > * Whitelisting requires that one developer vouches for you. We intend this
11 > to be as unbureaucratic as possible.
12 > * Obviously, repeated off-topic posting as well as behaviour against the
13 > Code of Conduct [2] will lead to revocation of the posting permission.
14 >
15 > If, as a non-developer, you want to participate in a discussion
16 > on gentoo-dev,
17 > - either reply directly to the author of a list mail and ask him/her to
18 > forward your message,
19 > - or ask any Gentoo developer of your choice to get you whitelisted.
20 > [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20171210-summary.txt
21 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct
22
23 I'm very sorry that Council approved this proposal
24 & hope that it will soon see sense & rescind it.
25 As an ordinary user since 2003, I've subscribed to user + dev lists
26 & have rarely encountered bad behaviour on either :
27 it looks as if a sledge-hammer is being used to crack a nut.
28 I followed the recent discussion here, but didn't offer comment,
29 as there seemed to be little rationale or evidence behind the proposal
30 & I didn't expect Council to pay any attention.
31
32 That said, I would like to be able to offer my views on the dev list,
33 which is likely to be rarely & will always be polite,
34 as I have done occasionally during the past 15 years .
35
36 Is one of the devs willing to sponsor me ?
40 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
41 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
42 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca