From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:30:42
1 On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Not really. Every time I modified anything in there, it just took a few udev
4 > versions and suddenly I was flooded with deprecation warnings a la "things
5 > work different now, find out on your own how to fix it..."
6
7 Not to mention at least in the past it has tended to accumulate
8 orphans. I was getting tons of warnings on boot-up and discovered
9 that config protection left a ton of files in there from
10 who-knows-when. Granted, this is on a system that has been running
11 Gentoo for about a decade now (every part in it has changed several
12 times, but the OS has steadily migrated along).
13
14 Now I'm down to 5 files in there, and only one of them is my
15 local.rules file. If udev is going to stick stuff in /etc then it
16 really needs to have better communication when this stuff needs to be
17 modified/cleaned/etc, and what users are and aren't supposed to touch.
18
19 Rich