From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:16:35
1 On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:29:17 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/06/14 07:11, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 > > I'm just expecting more from our users. I don't think the news items
6 > > were ever designed for simplistic things like this.
7 >
8 > As in, GLEP 42 Critical News Item != Learning tool for understanding
9 > Portage output
10
11 Simplistic things don't make a lot of users ask for support, file bugs,
12 etc...; so, it is less simple to users than what you might infer.
13
14 UPower is a dependency of a lot of desktop enviroments; besides that,
15 I still believe that the majority of users don't run systemd. This
16 makes a blocker like this so wide scale that it at least becomes
17 important, as it is used much more compared to the CDDA reader example.
18
19 Now what makes the difference between important and critical is the
20 potential to become disastrous; this is where it becomes harder to
21 judge how critical it is, but at the very least it affects a large
22 share of users now as well as in future upgrades. They appreciate news.
25 With kind regards,
26
27 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
28 Gentoo Developer
29
30 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
31 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
32 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D