From: david@×××××××××.com
To: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] BUILDROOT concept (was Re: [gentoo-dev] ROOT variable)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:26:30
1 On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:58:42AM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > %% Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > >> However, the problem of the current handling of DEPEND vs. RDEPEND
5 > >> is not so simple to resolve. It looks like DEPEND and RDEPEND are
6 > >> targeted at a very different scenario than the one I outline above.
7 >
8 > js> It's targeted at embedded systems and the like where you want to
9 > js> be very specific about what you want to install.
10 >
11 > Mm. But of course, this will only work if your embedded system just
12 > happens to be the same architecture as your build system... which I
13 > think is not a good restriction to make.
16 I still don't see how `ROOT=/tmp/foo emerge blah` doesn't solve your problem.
17
18 > I think a better solution to the "building an embedded system" issue
19 > would be having some kind of locally-defined "final step" that extracts
20 > the specific bits you want from the ROOT image and constructs the
21 > embedded image from that. It could take advantage of the ROOT Portage
22 > database files such as CONTENTS, etc. to figure out what files need to
23 > be installed, and even postprocess it to remove things like man pages or
24 > documentation which is deemed unnecessary for an embedded system. It
25 > seems like the ROOT image having its own Portage database, rather than
26 > mixed in with the local system's database, could be extremely useful.
27 >
28 > This way you could much more easily get REAL control over the content of
29 > the embedded image.
32 there is already embedded tools that have been around for months. I
33 posted my own tool called submerge that created embedded system
34 images(basically shell scripts) back in november.
35
36 I then took what I wrote and ported similar functioning module to
37 catalyst. The patches have been merged and it should come out with
38 the next catalyst release.
39
40 with the embedded module you can:
41
42 * specify what packages you want without dependancies
43 * dictate use variables for your own image
44 * prep the image into a filesystem of your choice(I use cramfs)
45 * remove specified files and directories
46 * remove specified packages that are not needed after compilation
47
48 > Are there people using this feature right now? I'd be interested to
49 > hear their opinions on the current behavior of ROOT.
50 ...
51 >
52 > I don't see how this solves the problem. First, the point is to allow
53 > multiple "build" images, which this does not do, since it still uses the
54 > local host for all DEPEND information. I don't want to have to update
55 > (or downgrade!) my local host's installation of packages just to build
56 > a ROOT with a different setup! Second, the ROOT is not a real Portage
57 > system here: all the Portage database information, etc. is on the local
58 > system. Third, this still won't work if the ROOT target is to be run on
59 > different hardware than the build system. Etc.
60
61 I don't understand what you mean by 'portage database information'.
62 Maybe you could explain more, becuase I don't see any problems here
63 either.
64
65 Dave
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list