From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE package names
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:21:23
1 On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 16:18, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > > If you've ever used cvs, which we do for our portage tree, you will know
3 > > that moving packages is far more painful than the "no effort" you suppose.
4 > > Due to the number of packages that make up XFCE, suggesting such a large
5 > > move
6 > > would not be taken lightly.
7 >
8 > Is there any particular feature in cvs that subversion could not provide?
9
10 Tseng's initial statement is a bit misleading, it has nothing to do with
11 cvs. It's a move that can and should be handled by portage, but it's
12 still tedious.
13
14 I personally do agree though that this (XFCE4) naming convention has
15 been wrong from the start and have brought it up before on IRC. Gentoo,
16 unlike some binary based distros, has no reason to use version numbers
17 in package names because of the SLOTs system and we should make as
18 extensive use of this as possible.
19
20 That doesn't change the fact that this is a lot of work and it's up to
21 the maintainers to find time to do this. It has no immediate importance,
22 but it should be on their TODO.
23
24 - foser
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list