From: "llemikebyw@×××.com" <llemikebyw@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Future Trends
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:11:17
1 Colleagues,
2
3 I have been considering the current push to replace
4 init with systemd for all Linux systems.
5
6 systemd has been adopted by Fedora and openSuSE
7 as the default init system - and to ensure it becomes
8 the de facto standard, SysVInit has been deprecated
9 to the extent it is now virtually unsupported by those
10 distributions.
11
12 To reinforce the necessity to convert to systemd
13 udev source is now being offered as part of a package
14 together with systemd source.
15
16 Meanwhile, consolekit has disappeared to be replaced
17 by systemd-loginctl.
18
19 KDE build flags on Gentoo have traditionally been:
20 consolekit udev policykit dbus
21
22 As we all know d-bus provides userspace with a
23 message bus system. This is not far removed from
24 systemd in that systemd seeks to manage sockets
25 and launch processes based on events
26 communicated through the messaging system.
27 udev creates devices on-the-fly and communicates
28 these events using the message bus.
29
30 Consequently I predicted that the necessity to
31 bulld systemd together with udev will, in the next
32 six months, become a necessity to build
33 systemd, udev and d-bus as ONE ENTITY.
34
35 At that point, systemd's coup-de-grace will be
36 complete and to build KDE you will have to
37 accept systemd as your default init system.
38
39 In fact, to build virtually any Desktop machine you
40 will have to accept systemd as your init system.
41
42 Comments?
43
44 Mike