From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: converting copyright/license information in OpenRC
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 21:38:36
1 On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:04:47PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > > currently, OpenRC has file-based copyright/licensing information.
5 > > I would like to centralize all of this information, following the
6 > > centralized model described here [1].
7 >
8 > > This would mean that, at the top of each file, there would be a
9 > > copyright notice stating:
10 >
11 > > Copyright <years> OpenRC authors
12 >
13 > > [with the licensing information from the page I am referring to
14 > > mentioning the license and a copy of the license at the top level of
15 > > the distro]
16 >
17 > OpenRC is licensed under BSD-2, right? That license is rather short,
18 > not much longer than the license notice from [1]. So I wonder if
19 > centralising this is worth the effort. (It also adds one level of
20 > indirection.)
21
22 Well, the OpenRC project is currently inconsistent about this, so the
23 intention is to make it consistent.
24
25 The .c/.h files have file-scope licenses, but that isn't true for
26 everything in the project.
27
28 I am willing to make the effort to do this, I was just wondering if
29 there are any legal pitfalls I need to worry about.
30
31 My theory is I can probably use git to find out who all of the authors
32 are, and generate an Authors list from that information and from looking
33 at copyright notices.
36 William