From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Moving more hardening features to default?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:14:06
1 On Thursday 20 October 2011 23:20:35 Duncan wrote:
2 > Magnus G suggests possibly adding PIE to amd64, which is already PIC,
3
4 this isn't quite right. amd64 shared objects (i.e. libraries) are PIC. the
5 applications are not.
6
7 > Still, speaking as an ~amd64 user myself, that's certainly an acceptable
8 > tradeoff from the user-side, particularly as most users will only have
9 > perhaps a handful of those 30 packages installed. If the gentoo/amd64
10 > folks and the maintainers of those 30 packages don't mind too much, I
11 > believe it does make sense.
12
13 usually these packages are multimedia related. like ffmpeg iirc. so i think
14 the impact is much greater than your estimate here.
15
16 > Then, as legacy x86 gradually dies off and those who haven't already done
17 > so gradually switch to amd64 (or possibly arm, but I don't know enough
18 > about that to comment in this context), they'd get the security upgrade
19 > as a part of the package. =:^)
20
21 poor PIC performance isn't specific to x86. it's just the largest affected user
22 base. i'd have to dig into the ABI's to say which others have issues.
23
24 > What about x32, tho? Does it get PIC by default too, or not, and if not,
25
26 x32 is same as x86_64 wrt PIC
27
28 > And for bindnow, do you mean the "-Wl,-z,now" that's part of my LDFLAGS?
29
30 yes
31
32 > there's some initial-load-time and arguably some memory cost, but less
33 > post-load run-time latency and issues when those libs would be otherwise
34 > be lazy-loaded, and I decided that tradeoff was one I could live with!
35
36 i don't think there's a memory cost. the initial load time is waste and is
37 noticeable on much larger packages like OOo.
38 -mike