From: Matt Matthews <jvmatthe@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.0 install CD (stage2/stage3) kernel panic(?) from PCMCIA
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:20:16
1 On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:48:40PM -0500, Chad Huneycutt wrote:
2 > What happens if you modprobe i82365 ? That autoloads pcmcia_core, so I
3 > would like to think that you get the same behavior, but it is something
4 > to try. Exactly what steps do you use with the rc6 CD? Where is the
5 > pcmcia_core module that you are insmod'ing?
6
7 Tried modprobe-ing i82365 and got the same reaction, probably because
8 pcmcia_core was pulled in as well (as you noted). With the rc6 CD, I'm just
9 booting, hitting enter a few times to get to the prompt and then "modprobe
10 pcmcia_core", "modprobe i82365", "modprobe ds", "cardmgr -f", "dhcpcd eth0".
11 Works like a charm every time. I did not try insmod directly, now that I think
12 about it, but I would presume that the modules are being pulled by modprobe
13 from /lib/modules or wherever they live on the rc6 CD (and the 1.0 CD).
14
15 > You can file a bug, but I will need a bit more information, as the
16 > modules on the 1.0 CD work fine for me.
17
18 Other than the above clarifications, I can't provide much more. As I said, the
19 laptop is completely disabled when I modprobe pcmcia_core. :^(
20
21 FWIW, I am now well on my way to getting GNOME back up, so I'm past the
22 problem. I thought I'd point out that the 1.0 CD didn't work for me in case
23 someone else comes along and has a similar problem.
24
25 Regards,
26 matt
29 Matt Matthews \ ph: 919.660.2811 \ Use GNU/Linux _o) w00t
30 Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe@×××××××××.edu \____________ /\\
31 Dept. of Mathematics\ http://www.math.duke.edu/~jvmatthe/ \ _\_V