From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Data Collection and Survey
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:53:35
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I am attempting to gather data for my Simulation course at Columbia
4 University. The data will be used for my Simulation project where my
5 aim is to estimate the work load of developers related to the
6 maintenance of the portage tree. The Simulation will generate fake
7 package releases and bug reports in simulation time, and compute the
8 number of hours each developer spends working as well as other
9 interesting information.
10
11 There are two pieces of data that I am attempting to gather:
12
13 1) emerge.logs from all developers maintaining packages (to determine
14 the respective compile times of all maintained packages in portage
15 tree), preferably multiple ones from each (to gauge the effect of
16 multiple workstations).
17
18 2) A rough estimate from all developers maintaining packages of how
19 many times they have to recompile (i.e. test their ebuilds) a package
20 before committing a new ebuild.
21
22 The more data I can collect, the more accurate the Simulation will be.
23 Thank you all in advance for your cooperation. And thank you for
24 spending the time making a great distribution.
25
26 Best regards,
27
28 Andrey Falko