From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove cups from releases/make.defaults ?
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 08:19:57
1 On Sat, 5 May 2012, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
4 > USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"
5 >
6 > This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
7 > example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
8 > mandatory useflag.
9
10 When you are at it: Why is USE=gdbm there?
11
12 Even desktops run fine without sys-libs/gdbm nowadays; even sys-libs/db
13 is only needed on desktops if you use libreoffice (in contrast to e.g.
14 openoffice-bin where it is bundled, fortunately).
15
16 Maybe this was different when e.g. some applications (netscape?)
17 could use gdbm instead of berkeley's db, but nowadays, when many
18 applications (e.g. firefox) have switched to sqlite, it seeems
19 that gdbm is outdated.
20
21 I have USE="-cups -gdbm ..." in make.conf on KDE desktop machines
22 since ages and no problems with it.