From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: method@g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 21:38:36
1 On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 22:34, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > On the subject of init scripts, I recall having a conversation with seemant
4 > about this init system which used tree based dependancies and could start
5 > init scripts simaltaeneously if their dependancy trees didn't collide (for faster
6 > bootups), does this solution provide this? we'd really like to get something
7 > that will take some of the overhead out of the init system...
10 The problem mostly with an approach like this, is that without going the
11 extreme python/C_with_glib_or_xml, you will prob have more overhead in
12 the poor bash engine figuring this out, than the speed you will get with
13 then starting one or two services in parallel.
14
15 I have said in the past that I will have a look at parallel startup, but
16 currently there are other points that is more critical and a factor
17 influencing the speed that needs attention.
18
19 Also, it would be nice if somebody who have used Gentoo for a while, and
20 are better than me at writing, would make some effort to get the docs
21 updated, more clear, and maybe add some of the missing man pages. This
22 should already take some of the sting out of it all. If somebody is
23 interested, I will gladly answer questions, etc.
28 Martin Schlemmer
29 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
30 Cape Town, South Africa