From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun@×××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for an unstable branch
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 00:47:11
1 Hello
2
3 Now as the freeze is coming along I was thinking
4 that we could have an unstable branch, wich would
5 be for development ebuilds which are not considered
6 stable enough for the "stable" distribution yet.
7
8 Currently unstable ebuilds are avaiable either
9 masked in the portage tree, or from the authors
10 homepage, which is quite unconvenient if I want
11 to check whether someone has already worked
12 on some app.
13
14 The submittal of ebuilds to the unstable tree could
15 be made easier than to the stable tree, so the
16 core developers would not be forced to confirm
17 each upload. The unstable tree would of course
18 not be officially supported. This would also
19 solve the problem about development versions
20 in the stable portage tree.
21
22 - Einar Karttunen