From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: introspection
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:37
1 On 21 June 2010 21:14, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > If that's the case (they are essential for Gnome or whatever to work, just two
4 > files per package, not bringing any additional dependencies nor probability of
5 > causing compilation failures), I find it rather odd to make it optional at
6 > all.
7
8 As I explained, the reason I think it makes sense to make it optional
9 is for embedded systems, where you want to enable introspection for
10 only the subset of your package where you need the dynamically
11 generated bindings. I agree that this is a tenuous argument in itself,
12 but I figure that now that we've started this way, and there /is/ a
13 benefit to it, we might as well carry it through.
14
15 I'm still trying to think of a good name. I understand the concerns
16 about "introspection" being too generic and non GNOME-y, but "gir" is
17 likely to cause confusion.
20 Arun Raghavan
21 http://arunraghavan.net/
22 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)