From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removing .la files
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:58:10
1 Enrico Weigelt posted on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:09:30 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'm doing some investigation on which .la files are still needed and
4 > which are not. In general, .la files only are in use by very few
5 > packages which use them to load plugins (I've seen no package which
6 > actually requires them for compile-time importing in production).
7
8 FWIW, flameeyes has done quite a bit of work on this, but I'm not sure
9 it's published anywhere.
10
11 FWIW2, I recently took the big jump myself, PKG_INSTALL_MASKing *.la files
12 (I run FEATURES=buildpkg so that's effectively install-masking them too,
13 but they don't get in the binpkgs at all that way), then rebuilding my
14 entire system, and while it's /possible/ certain plugins don't work, I've
15 not noticed it.
16
17 I needed only one exception, sys-devel/libtool itself. At least one
18 package (IIRC imagemagick but I could be recalling incorrectly) tests for
19 a properly configured libtool in the configure script by testing for
20 libtool's single *.la file, libltdl.la, so I had to rebuild/reinstall
21 libtool itself without that mask.
22
23 I handled it using /etc/portage/env/sys-devel/libtool, which contains only
24 the single setting:
25
26 PKG_INSTALL_MASK=
27
28 thus undoing the make.conf setting of:
29
30 # dump *.la files
31 PKG_INSTALL_MASK="*.la"
32
33 So as of now:
34
35 $ equery b -f '.*\.la$'
36 * Searching for .*\.la$ ...
37 sys-devel/libtool-2.2.10 (/usr/lib64/libltdl.la)
38 $
39
40 That's it! =:^)
41
42 Of course, the rebuild process likely wouldn't have gone so smoothly if I
43 hadn't already had lafilefixer hooked even before FEATURES=fixlafiles (and
44 was running --as-needed in LDFLAGS before that), with the system only
45 recently entirely rebuilt when I upgraded to gcc-4.5, so there weren't any
46 nasties in the existing *.la files to snag the rebuild. =:^)
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman