From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Troubleshooting Guide
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:28:30
1 Hello all,
2
3 I'm thinking to write a troubleshooting guide. I'm finding that most questions
4 in -user are asked prematurely. That is to say, the users are not researching
5 properly or attempting to troubleshoot the problem for themselves. Of course,
6 I'm aware that every distribution (and other operating system) has this
7 problem, but I think the answer is, essentially, to teach the users how to
8 learn.
9
10 So far, I've thought of the following sections:
11
12 A Research
13 A1 How to find documentation
14 A2 How to search the web
15 A3 How to search a forum/mailing list/knowledge base
16
17 B Troubleshooting
18 B1 Isolating the problem
19 B2 Working around a problem
20 B3 Fixing a problem
21
22 C Getting Help
23 C1 How to ask questions
24 C2 Where to ask questions
27 I know, not much yet. I'll begin a draft from my experience and then research
28 bad questions from -user to make it more useful in the real world.
29
30 What I'm looking for at the moment is other peoples tips on any of the above
31 sections. Please email me directly for the time being until I've put together
32 at least a first draft which can then be discussed on -doc.
33
34 Regards,
35 Jason
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list