From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please subscribe to travis-ci mail alias to get notifications on depgraph breakages
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:47:59
1 On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 00:23:29 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, developers.
3 >
4 > We have added a new mail alias travis-ci@g.o and set up travis-ci [1]
5 > to send notifications on status change there. Please seriously consider
6 > adding yourself to the alias, and contributing to the quality
7 > of Gentoo.
8 >
9 > The mail load is low -- travis will only send notices when the state
10 > changes from 'good' to 'bad', and the other way around. However, you
11 > will need to manually grep the logs provided by travis for occurences
12 > of 'FATAL'.
13 >
14 > Please remember that keeping the repository in a broken state is
15 > inconvenient both for users and other developers. In particular
16 > the issues include:
17 >
18 > 1. dependency resolution errors blocking @world upgrades,
19 >
20 > 2. Portage unnecessarily switching packages to ~arch (and therefore
21 > reducing quality of stable systems),
22 >
23 > 3. repoman refusing to commit irrelevant changes to packages.
24 >
25 > Therefore, whenever possible please try to fix the issues ASAP.
26 >
27 > However, if you are not the person directly responsible for
28 > the dependency graph breakage, please *reliably* inform him
29 > about the revert/change you're doing. Failing to do has already
30 > resulted in developers repeating their mistakes because of
31 > misinformation.
32 >
33 > Preferably, always file a bug in such a case and make it block
34 > the 'broken-depgraph' tracker [2]. When assigning/CC-ing to the bug,
35 > please make sure to include both the maintainers of the broken package,
36 > and the maintainers of the dependency as necessary.
37
38 While I must admit that travis is a quite convenient tool (thought
39 it has its limitations), I'd like to raise related software freedom
40 concern.
41
42 Travis itself is a closed, proprietary and non-trivial-to-replace
43 solution. If travis will become essential for Gentoo development,
44 it may undermine development freedom and Gentoo social contract,
45 which states: "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or
46 metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the
47 GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
48 Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open
49 Source Initiative (OSI)."
50
51 If travis will change their terms of service in future and our
52 workflow/infra will depends on these checks, whole development
53 process may be hampered.
54
55 So developers should think twice before depending their workflow on
56 this solution. I'm refusing to sign up to the list which in my
57 opinion indirectly violates Gentoo social contract.
58
59 If some other free tool (preferably deployed on Gentoo
60 infrastructure) will be used for this task, I'll sign-up right away.
61
62 Best regards,
63 Andrew Savchenko