From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gdm-2.6.0.3, XOrg/Gnome problems with Xkb Options and Xorg/xfs problem
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:21:03
1 Hi Folks-
2
3 Any particular reason why gdm-2.6.0.3 (latest) is not in portage? I see
4 that gnome 2.6 has been in portage for awhile now, and I have 2.6.1_rc1
5 installed, but the latest gdm ebuild in portage is still 2.4.4.7-r1.
6
7 I just renamed my 2.4.4.7-r1 gdm ebuild in portage, put it in my overlay
8 dir, renamed the selinux patch in files/ and wala, got a nice 2.6 gdm
9 (which apparently has many new features over 2.4, though I haven't
10 explored them at all yet).
11
12 While I'm asking about gdm, can anyone comment on these XOrg/Gnome
13 problems I'm having (recently posted to gentoo-user but which elicited
14 no replies)?
15
16 I recently upgraded from xfree-4.3.0-r5 to xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1 and am
17 having some problems. I've read the related posts in gentoo-user and
18 gentoo-dev and in the forums, but don't see solutions to these issues
19 being reported by anyone (though someone else in gentoo-user reported
20 the same Xkb problem).
21
22 One of my problems is apparently with the XKB options in the DeviceInput
23 section of xorg.conf, but it only seems to show up when starting gnome
24 and then only when I login in to gdm as root.
25
26 I'm running this on an HP/compaq nx9010 laptop computer and I used the
27 xorg.conf file found here
28 http://www.freax.be/files/rh9_nx9010/fedora_-_xorg.conf as a base for
29 my own. I made some modifications to it based on the xorg docs I've
30 read.
31
32 The hardware in this laptop is as follows:
33 P4 2.4GHz
34 512MB RAM
35 Bus1, Device5, Function0: ATI Radeon IGP 340M (rev 0)
36
37 I'm using the radeon driver that is included in the XOrg package because
38 it's the only one that seems to give me a functional X display at all.
39 I do have ati-drivers and ati-drivers-extra installed, but when I use
40 the "fglrx" driver from ati-drivers in my xorg.conf file, X refuses to
41 start at all. The server reports no devices found so I guess the fglrx
42 driver does not support the Radeon IGP 340M, but isn't that driver from
43 ATI? I tried the opengl-update ati command after putting fglrx in the
44 Driver parameters of xorg.conf and before starting xdm (gdm), but no
45 help there either.
46
47 The man 4 radeon page shows 2D-only support for this card/chip with this
48 driver. I'd like to have 3D support, but as I said, fglrx won't start
49 up X.
50
51 Using the radeon driver, when I start X with XSESSION in make.conf set
52 to Gnome (logging into gdm as root), I get a dialog that says:
53
54 ===============
55 Error activating XKB configuration.
56 Probably internal X server problem.
57
58 X server version data:
59 Gentoo Linux (The X.Org Foundation 6.7.0, revision r1-1.1)
60 60700000
61
62 If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
63 -The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
64 -The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
65 ===============
66
67 I've pasted the output of these commands here:
68
69 ===============
70 _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
71 _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
72 ===============
73
74 ===============
75 layouts = [us]
76 model = pc105
77 overrideSettings = false
78 options = []
79 ===============
80
81 I don't get this when I log in as a normal user. Anyone know how to fix
82 this or is it something I should even be concerned about (probably won't
83 login to gdm as root very often---but are there other hidden
84 consequences?)?
85
86 I don't get this when I login using kdm to start kde or when I use
87 startx/.xinitrc to start enlightenment or fvwm or twm. I'm using all
88 of the latest packages (xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1, kde-3.2.3, gnome-2.6.1_rc1,
89 fvwm-2.5.10-r5, enlightenment-0.16.7_pre4).
90
91 I've followed the guidance at
92 http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/XKB-Config.html, but can't
93 seem to resolve this problem with any clues there. In fact, I think my
94 xorg.conf file has the exact same options they describe using there
95 (except pc105).
96
97 Below, I've included my xorg.conf file in case it helps someone figure
98 out what's going on here. I initially had "xfree" in the XkbRules
99 Option parameter and that gave the same results.
100
101 ===================
102
103 Section "ServerLayout"
104 Identifier "Default Layout"
105 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
106 Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
107
108 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
109 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
110 #InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
111 EndSection
112
113 Section "Files"
114 RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
115 FontPath "tcp/localhost:7100"
116 EndSection
117
118 Section "Module"
119 Load "dbe"
120 Load "extmod"
121 Load "fbdevhw"
122 Load "glx"
123 Load "record"
124 Load "freetype"
125 Load "type1"
126 EndSection
127
128 Section "InputDevice"
129 Identifier "Keyboard0"
130 Driver "keyboard"
131 Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
132 Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
133 Option "XkbLayout" "us"
134 Option "XkbOptions" ""
135 EndSection
136
137 Section "InputDevice"
138 Identifier "Mouse0"
139 Driver "mouse"
140 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
141 Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
142 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
143 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
144 EndSection
147 Section "Monitor"
148 Identifier "Monitor0"
149 VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
150 ModelName "Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024x768"
151 Option "dpms"
152 EndSection
153
154 Section "Monitor"
155 Identifier "Monitor1"
156 EndSection
157
158 Section "Device"
159 Identifier "First ATI Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
160 Driver "radeon"
161 VendorName "ATI Radeon Mobility"
162 BoardName "Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
163 BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
164 Option "AGPMode" "4"
165 Screen 0
166 EndSection
167
168 Section "Device"
169 Identifier "Second ATI Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
170 Driver "radeon"
171 BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
172 VendorName "ATI Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
173 BoardName "Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
174 Screen 1
175 EndSection
176
177 Section "Screen"
178 Identifier "Screen0"
179 Device "First ATI Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
180 Monitor "Monitor0"
181 DefaultDepth 24
182 SubSection "Display"
183 Depth 16
184 EndSubSection
185 SubSection "Display"
186 Depth 24
187 EndSubSection
188 EndSection
189
190 Section "Screen"
191 Identifier "Screen1"
192 Device "Second ATI Radeon Mobility IGP 345M"
193 Monitor "Monitor1"
194 DefaultDepth 24
195 SubSection "Display"
196 Depth 16
197 EndSubSection
198 SubSection "Display"
199 Depth 24
200 EndSubSection
201 EndSection
202
203 Section "DRI"
204 Group 0
205 Mode 0666
206 EndSection
209 Section "ServerFlags"
210 Option "Xinerama" "true"
211 EndSection
212 ===================
213
214 I'm also having difficulty getting X to work with the X Font Server
215 using unix sockets (thus the tcp port mentioned above). The xorg.conf
216 man page states:
217
218 ==================
219 FontPath "path"
220 sets the search path for fonts. This path is a comma separated
221 list of font path elements which the Xorg server searches for
222 font databases. Multiple FontPath entries may be specified, and
223 they will be concatenated to build up the fontpath used by the
224 server. Font path elements may be either absolute directory
225 paths, or a font server identifier. Font server identifiers
226 have the form:
227
228 <trans>/<hostname>:<port-number>
229
230 where <trans> is the transport type to use to connect to the
231 font server (e.g., 1 for UNIX-domain sockets or tcp for a TCP/IP
232 connection), <hostname> is the hostname of the machine running
233 the font server, and <port-number> is the port number that the
234 font server is listening on (usually 7100).
235 ==================
236
237 But I couldn't get X to start using either "1" or "unix" (older syntax?)
238 in the place of <trans> above in any combination. Does the hostname
239 need to be present with unix sockets? What about the port number? I
240 tried with and without hostname/port to no avail.
241
242 Can anyone point out any mistakes in my configs here? Or perhaps offer
243 suggestions on solutions? I'd be glad to follow up with
244 my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file with various parameters changed if it would
245 help.
246
247 TIA.
248