From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] contents of /dev after initial installation
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:34:48
1 maillog: 02/12/2005-03:57:20(+0000): Stephen Bennett types
2 > On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:45:00 +0900
3 > Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I don't need a fully populated /dev to get a working shell with
6 > > init=/bin/bash on the kernel cmdline. And at that point it is easy to
7 > > run /dev/MAKEDEV and get whatever devices are needed for
8 > > troubleshooting.
9 >
10 > Still more effort than booting into a system that is pretty much
11 > fully-functional already to fix it.
12 >
13 > > I of course assume that if the dynamic /dev management fails, then we
14 > > need to *recover* instead of trying to get the system up as usual.
15 > > And I also assume that the init scripts will anyway tell me "fatal
16 > > error: give root password for maintenance or Ctrl-D to continue" if I
17 > > have something vital missing from /dev.
18 >
19 > See above. And that still doesn't address the issue that some people
20 > don't even want dynamic device management in the first place.
21
22 Crap! I was so positive there's a use flag for udev somewhere. Since you
23 have to accommodate for all possibilities, I'd have to agree with you
24 here.
27 () Georgi Georgiev () <lux> if macOS is for the computer ()
28 () chutz@×××.net () illiterate, then windoze is for the ()
29 () http://www.gg3.net/ () computer masochists ()
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list