From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 02:11:04
1 On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 20:58 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Brian Jackson wrote:
6 > > Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
9 > >>Hi ebuild devs,
10 > >>
11 > >>Here's a glep draft now for (a part of) the long-term portage-goal
12 > >>"act as a secondary package manager" ...
13 > >>
14 > >>Comments welcome,
15 > >> haubi
16 > >>
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > > It's fancy, but what about ROOT? You don't like it just because you'd have /usr/local/usr/bin/foo?
20 > >
21 > ROOT doens't work for DEPENDS, only [R,P]DEPENDS which means I can't
22 > install everything for pkg FOO in ROOT="/opt" fex. Mostly useful for
23 > alt arches when /usr is taken by the primary OS and you need portage's
24 > DEPEND packages to go somewhere else.
25
26 Well, I've got a bug open to have a different variable like ROOT that
27 portage would read config files from. Maybe you could jump on that
28 bandwagon, and see if you can make things work that way.
29
30 I just don't see the uptake to fix a very large portion of the tree for
31 something that I'd guess most devs think is pointless. That's also the
32 reason the "enterprise" tree hasn't taken off.
33
34 People working in their free time couldn't give a crap about people
35 thinking Gentoo isn't suitable for enterprise applications. In fact, I'd
36 bet there are even some people that already do or would sabotage such an
37 effort.
38
39 If you want to use portage, use Gentoo. If you want some package manager
40 for your solaris/x86 box(just an example!), go talk to the people that
41 do openembedded. They are geared toward using it as a secondary package
42 manager on a system.
43
44 --Iggy
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list