From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How about a monthly bumpday?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:43:59
1 On 03/10/10 15:41, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > I don't even think the maintainer-needed ones should be bumped. Who
3 > knows what bugs you are introducing into the tree. This is why things
4 > eventually get treecleaned.
5
6 I purposely wrote "no big deal _to their maintainers_" - I wonder why
7 everyone is so scare about their packages getting touched now :-)
8 The requirements for touching packages shall be as on any other day. For
9 maintainer-needed I wouldn't make such a strong cut, though.
12 > As Mike said, for ones with maintainers, don't touch them unless you
13 > have explicit permission. We have maintainers for a reason, and if you
14 > don't know the intricacies of the package, you shouldn't be touching it.
15 > You should know how it works, how to test it, and what the normal
16 > problems of a bump are.
17
18 Right. As you say it this way: we have maintainers for another reason
19 too: so someone keeps the package up to date. It's both a right and a duty.
22 > With that being said, I don't really see the point of a bumpday. These
23 > day ideas are ignoring the fact that we don't have enough active developers,
24 > which is the real problem.
25
26 I assume that many half-active developers would be more active if they
27 were motivated stronger. Bumpday could be another step to reactivate
28 existing developers. But yes, we need more developers.
32 Sebastian