From: Robert Coie <rac@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Use Perl vendor directories?
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:53:55
1 A quick hunt through the last few months of archives of this list
2 didn't turn up any similar discussion, but apologies if I'm rehashing
3 an old flamewar. To make matters worse, I'm not really sure which
4 side I'm on, as I may simply not understand the Gentoo philosophy yet.
5
6 When I began experimenting with ebuilds for addon perl modules, I
7 noticed that the stock Gentoo ebuilds (IO-String was one I tried)
8 install into the site directories, which I had always thought reserved
9 for local installation, and off-limits to system installs. In
10 practice, I tend to use site directories to quickly see if a new
11 upstream version fixes some problem I may be having with a package.
12 If I find otherwise (or have different or worse problems with the new
13 version), it is nice to be able to simply wipe it out of the site
14 directories, and have the old functionality provided by the system
15 remain intact. This would not seem to be possible in the current
16 state of Gentoo.
17
18 As a first crack at a solution, I looked at Debian's perl policy.
19 Debian installs everything into the vendor directories. So the first
20 step would be to have the Gentoo perl ebuild specify vendor
21 directories. Secondly, a newer version of MakeMaker would probably
22 need to be included in the core perl build (as of version 5.90,
23 vanilla MakeMaker seems to have included the Debian vendor
24 extensions). Third, "INSTALLDIRS=vendor" would need to somehow be
25 added to the "perl Makefile.PL" command in perl-module.eclass.
26
27 I will attempt to do this locally, and would be interested in hearing
28 any suggestions or comments on this proposal.
31 Robert Coie <rac@××××××××××.jp>
32 Implementor, Apropos Ltd.