From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 20:11:13
1 On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 13:04:18 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3 > While this is a simple format. This is not a standard data input file
4 > format for language tools to map it into native language variables and
5 > types.
6 >
7 > I would much prefer for any new files to be created in a format that
8 > most languages have data input modules for and are easily read/edited
9 > by humans. While this can be read and split easily in python code.
10 > It is not future proof for additional data being added and/or removed.
11 >
12 > For the repoman stage3 rewrites. I am moving all configurable data
13 > from the code into yaml based files in /metadata/repoman. These
14 > files will be easily edited by all developers for updates to banned
15 > eclasses and various other values not needing code changes.
16 >
17 > So with a general file name of arches.desc Is there any other data
18 > that we want to include in that file? Possibly migrated from other
19 > file(s). In that case a dictionary format yaml file might be best.
20 > My example below has additional info over what was proposed.
21 > It is an example only to show the possible benefit of such a file
22 > type.
23
24 It's bad enough that we have to parse XML inside the package mangler for
25 optional data. Adding YAML (with all its format bugs: YAML files
26 created with libyaml can't be read by syck, and vice-versa) for files
27 that the package mangler has to read is even worse.
28
29 Plain text *is* a standard format.
32 Ciaran McCreesh