From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFree86 and 2.6 kernel headers
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:55:16
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:22, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 >
5 >> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I think a kernel specific conditional patch should be included in
8 XFree86 as it is unlikely the linux kernel headers are going to change back.
11 >> Thanks for the heads up on that one.
15 > Such as this?
16 >
17 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xfree/patchsets/4.3.0/patch/9020_all_4.3.0-fix-2.5-headers-rate-period.patch
18 >
19 > It'll be going into 4.3.0-r4, which is in progress.
20 >
21 > Donnie
24 I can't say I like such a global change:
25
26 +/* Deal with spurious kernel header change */
27 +#if defined(LINUX_VERSION_CODE) && defined(KERNEL_VERSION)
28 +# if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,5,42)
29 +# define rate period
30 +# endif
31 +#endif
32
33 I think it would be better to put the conditionals around each instance
34 of 'rate', which I believe is only in one location anyway. If your
35 patch causes a problem, trying to figure out the cause might get messy
36 by just substituting period for rate .... it won't be obvious such a
37 substitution is going on to somebody not in the know (no obvious naming
38 convention used here).
39
40 Tom Veldhouse