From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:21:54
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > (sorry about last mail, hit send too early)
6 >
7 > Recently we introduced an important behaviour change into the hotplug
8 > package. It used to autoload modules at bootup, now it doesn't - you
9 > have to install and use coldplug for that now.
10 >
11 > We put ewarn messages in the ebuild to warn about this change. We put
12 > comments in the hotplug init.d script to warn about this change. I
13 > personally did not anticipate it affecting many people (if you are
14 > going to load a module on every boot up, why not just build it
15 > directly into the kernel).
16 >
17 > However many users were affected by this. It seems people DO build
18 > kernel modules for their core hardware, I still don't understand why
19 > but thats beside the point here. Users missed the ewarn messages
20 > because hotplug was brought in the middle of updates of other packages
21 > (didn't help that there was a GNOME stable release around the same
22 > time). They did not see the comments in init.d because they used the
23 > "-5" option of etc-update to overwrite all files that they had never
24 > edited. We had bug reports and less-than-cooperative users flying in
25 > from many angles.
26 >
27 > I then resorted to posting this with a kernel announcement on the
28 > homepage and getting a mention in the GWN. This was probably a bit
29 > late, hasn't seemed to help much but has rather got me more negative
30 > feedback from users who have gone for a complete reinstall (!? is
31 > there another misconception here? do we need to teach users about the
32 > "modprobe" command?) and from those who noticed I haven't taken up
33 > their (non-practical or impossible) suggestions to resolving this better.
34 >
35 > My question is, how can we improve this situation? Portage really
36 > needs a decent messaging system to convey messages like this. It's in
37 > the works, right? It seems long overdue now...
38 > Users suggested making the messages appear at the very end of the
39 > emerge process ("* X config files in /etc need updating" style), or an
40 > etc-update style system where you read messages and dismiss them once
41 > you've seen them, or a system which mails you those ewarn messages.
42 > I really hope portage will be able to provide functionality something
43 > like this soon...
44 >
45 > In the meantime, could we have handled this better with the resources
46 > available to us right now? How have other people coped with similar
47 > changes?
48 >
49 > Thanks,
50 > Daniel
51 >
52 > --
53 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
56 SuSE distro's are use to send a mail to root, one per package.
57
58 imho you have pointed a ***very*** important point
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list