From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining S= from ebuild phase, src_unpack() ?
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:51:31
1 On 01/04/2011 10:22 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:40:57 +0200
3 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Far as I know, S= isn't used to generate metadata cache, so it's PMS
5 >> that need fixing for it's wording:
6 >>
7 >> "All ebuild-defined variables used to generate metadata cache,
8 >> discussed in this chapter..."
9 >
10 > There's also:
11 >
12 > Global variables must only contain invariant values
13 > (see~\ref{sec:metadata-invariance}). If a global variable's value is
14 > invariant, it may have the value that would be generated at any
15 > given point in the build sequence.
16 >
17 > which is true for all global variables, not just for metadata ones.
18 > That paragraph's there because historically global variables have done
19 > various different things (being re-evaluated for every phase, or just
20 > some phases, or never, or when loaded from VDB, or ...).
23 I don't know the code involving package managers here, but we have
24 eclasses like qt4-r2.eclass and kde4-meta.eclass redefining S= from
25 src_unpack() and I haven't seen a single bug report about it.
26
27 To fix the eclasses, and several ebuilds in tree to not do this for
28 something that "might be a problem" or fix the PMS wording to match reality?