From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 16:31:20
1 On Sun, 2018-09-09 at 14:32 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Our current -Werror policy demands unconditional removal:
5 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/common-mistakes/index.html#-werror-compiler-flag-not-removed
6 >
7 > I think this is wrong, see bugs 665464, 665538 for a recent
8 > discussion why.
9 >
10 > My point is that in *most* cases -Werror indeed should be removed,
11 > because upstream rarely can keep up with all possible configure,
12 > *FLAGS, compiler versions and arch combinations. But! In some cases
13 > — especially for security oriented software — this flag may be
14 > pertain and may be kept at maintainer's discretion.
15 >
16 > The rationale is that -Werror usually points to dangerous
17 > situations like uninitialized variables, pointer type mismatch or
18 > implicit function declaration (and much more) which may lead to
19 > serious security implications.
20
21 It may also point to a different coding style, user's flags (like
22 clang's 'argument unused during X' warnings. Are you suggesting that
23 upstream is going to detect all those situations and prevent them from
24 occurring, or are you going to WONTFIX the resulting bugs?
27 > So, if maintainer has enough manpower to support this flag, we
28 > should allow to keep it. Of course if it will cause long-standing
29 > troubles (e.g. bugs opened for a long time) QA should have power to
30 > remove it or demand its removal.
31
32 What you're saying basically boils down to 'it's fine that the package
33 randomly fails to build if somebody will fix it'. However, some people
34 actually use Gentoo on real systems and really prefer when things
35 *build*. While resolving warnings etc. is usually a worthwhile goal,
36 not at the cost of having users repeatedly hit failures, have to report
37 bugs about them and wait for the maintainer to fix them.
38
39 Not to mention that those fixes only work for new versions,
40 and therefore this whole idea turns downgrading (however undesirable you
41 might consider it) into a pointless effort of chasing old warnings.
42
43 This is just another example of writing programs for a single toolchain,
44 and adding more hacks every time someone tests with another one.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny