From: Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:11:29
1 Patrick Lauer schrieb:
2 > On Saturday 14 June 2008 11:53:51 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 >> What's the need for a GLEP covering "live" ebuilds and what's wrong with
4 >> -9999 ebuilds? I made myself that question when GLEP54 was submitted and
5 >> during the initial discussion. At that time, I wasn't convinced of the
6 >> need for such a GLEP. Now I think it can be very useful.
7 >> Why did I change my mind? Let's have a concrete use case.
8 >>
9 >> Updating the live ebuilds for compiz, can be a mess. If the ebuilds
10 >> aren't updated in the correct order, the process will fail and leave
11 >> users wondering why it failed. What we need is a way to ask the PM to
12 >> update compiz-fusion and or fusion-icon and all its "live" deps.
13 >
14 > Ok, here's a silly idea -
15 >
16 > tag the ebuilds with metadata. We already have RESTRICT, why not add a "LIVE"
17 > variable. The package manager can then treat all ebuilds with that tag
18 > differently. Scripts can find them easily. It is forwards and backwards
19 > compatible and doesn't cause any user-visible changes.
20 >
21 > Portage 2.2 and others support sets, portage 2.2 even supports dynamic sets
22 > like the "@preserved-rebuild". Shouldn't be that hard to add a "live-ebuilds"
23 > dynamic set.
24 > (Comments on the feasibility of my idea from portage people appreciated)
25 >
26 >> Currently, users with Portage have to run something like:
27 >> ~ emerge -av1 compiz compiz-bcop compiz-fusion-plugins-main \
28 >> ~ compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported \
29 >> ~ emerald emerald-themes libcompizconfig compizconfig-python \
30 >> ~ ccsm compizconfig-backend-gconf compizconfig-backend-kconfig \
31 >> ~ compiz-fusion fusion-icon
32 >
33 > That is the situation where you really love the sets in portage 2.2 - by
34 > default portage will re-merge every ebuild from a set when run as "emerge
35 > @your-custom-set". Now the overlay maintainer just has to provide the sets
36 > with the overlay and users are happy.
37 >
38 >> The problem with the -9999 ebuilds is that we need to force manually the
39 >> reinstalls and that the PM isn't able to determine if a dep needs to be
40 >> updated or not from the ebuild revision.
41 >
42 > If you use sets the updating part is easy, and in situations like emerge -e
43 > world you want to update them anyway.
44 >
45 >> So, running a reinstall with a world update is not desirable and having
46 >> to manually mask/unmask live ebuilds can also be a mess.
47 >
48 > I don't follow - if you want to update everything everything gets upgraded.
49 >
50 > What you seem to want is a way to make certain revisions "sticky" so that they
51 > don't get updated, that would need something like a "package.revisions" file
52 > like package.keywords containing "category/package revision" lines.
53 >
54 >> Having a method that lets the user choose to reinstall all the live
55 >> ebuilds every N days is an interesting option. Having a method that lets
56 >> the user choose that the PM should check the scm tree and update the
57 >> package if there's a new revision would be even better.
58 >
59 > I think that can be easily done if there's an easy way to pull the installed
60 > revision and currently available. The last discussions about that stalled
61 > without reaching agreement.
62 >
63 >> But for most cases, if we define a method to identify "live" ebuilds so
64 >> that the PM can implement a "--dl-reinstall-scm" like option, would be
65 >> "good enough" or at least a "very good start".
66 >
67 > I agree
68 >
69 >> Another case where having a method to let PMs identify "live" ebuilds is
70 >> important is for running QA scripts like repoman or pcheck.
71 >> Instead of having pcheck complain about dropped keywords for version
72 >> 9999, I would like to have pcheck complain about "live" ebuilds with
73 >> keywords. Not all "live" trees are unstable and thus some might not like
74 >> this change. However, if a PM is able to determine "live" ebuilds, it
75 >> might be easier to have alternative tests that allow testing for dropped
76 >> keywords or for the existence of keywords just for "live" ebuilds.
77 >
78 > That's what metadata is there for. And ebuilds don't mind carrying a bit
79 > more ... after all it's just one line of text.
80 So, what you want to do is to read every ebuild, if you want to find all
81 live ebuilds?
82 --
83 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list