From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:48:35
1 Wernfried Haas wrote:
2
3 > You already complained about that on the forums [1] in a rather
4 > similar thread and yet you still haven't filed a bug report about
5
6 Why I explained a couple of posts further down. I could not duplicate the
7 problem either, I think it went away in 3.4.4-r1. I don't like posting bug
8 reports that I can't duplicate and I prefer to be able to either post a
9 patch or suggest a solution unless it is a trivial matter.
10
11 > it. I don't have the feeling this is going anywhere. I'd really
12 > appreciate if you would at least try to help improve things.
13
14 I am trying to help improve things. Do you think I just enjoy lurking
15 around mailing lists and taking a beating? I persist because I love
16 Gentoo, but I see some lemming-like attitudes going on around here and the
17 users are the ones being led off of cliffs. Yes, I know it is a myth that
18 lemmings follow each other off of cliffs.
19
20 > Btw, the update was announced all over the place, including GWN,
21 > www.gentoo.org, the forums, etc. You also get a message in the
22 > postinstall of gcc 3.4.4 iirc.
23
24 Which promptly scrolled off of the screen a few days later, never again to
25 be found unless you know to search for it or read through all of the forums
26 before doing what the installation handbook describes.
27
28 > As for the stage 1 problems you described, this is exactly what i
29 > already told you in the same thread. Supporting stage 1 costs extra
30 > resources, this thread is a perfect example of it.
31
32 And this is the primary point I am arguing. I keep hearing it, over and
33 over. My testing leads me to a much different conclusion, I offered
34 details describing why I reached my conclusions. It is the developers that
35 decided to stop supporting the stage1 installation method, without asking
36 users. I am asking you all to justify that decision, preferrably with
37 facts. I am claiming that that the stage1 installation method is in fact
38 much easier, quicker, cleaner, and more dependable. I have still not heard
39 a reasonable argument to refute that basic assertion. I have heard vague
40 claims but no quantification.
41
42 I even went as far as posting patches to fix some of the major bugs that
43 have gone unnoticed for, how long? Which is, in effect, me offering
44 solutions. I have also posted proposals with patches for simple,
45 incremental changes in portage that would make gentoo more palatable in an
46 "enterprise" environment.
47
48 So far it has been a fairly fruitless endeavor...
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list