From: oford <oford@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Directory create in ebuilds]
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:19:54
1 Try www.python.orgdoc/current/tut/tut.html
2
3 it will get you up to speed pretty fast. Also look at
4 http://devshed.com site. I have found plenty of useful things ther.
5
6 /usr/local/sbin/owen
9 > On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 23:09, Charles Lacour wrote:
10 > > On Wednesday 07 August 2002 18:17, Marius Bernklev wrote:
11 > > > Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o> writes:
12 > > > > On Wednesday 07 August 2002 23:11, Marius Bernklev wrote:
13 > > > >> > you can also look at:
14 > > > >> > man 5 ebuild
15 > > > >> ...which is in dire need of updating. As is the howto on http.
16 > > > > Does that mean you're volunteering? :P
17 > > >
18 > > > Oops. Oh well, at least python is easy to read. :)
19 > > >
20 > > >
21 > > > Marius
22 > >
23 > > _I'll_ volunteer to (re)write it, if someone will give me a boost up the
24 > > learning curve with Python.
25 > >
26 > > I want to write some ebuilds myself, but I lack the time to figure out Python
27 > > cold. I quit learning (most) new languages about the time object-oriented
28 > > proogramming started up. The explanations of OOP in the early days were...
29 > > cryptic? Obtuse? A tangled bunch of gobbledygook? Something in that general
30 > > direction... Anyway, I wasn't working as a programmer, so I dropped out of
31 > > the "Language of the Month" club.
32 > >
33 > > What I've seen of Python looks pretty easy, but there are some basic concepts
34 > > I don't have, and trying to reason backward to them from somebody else's code
35 > > hasn't worked too well.
36 > >
37 > > I'd also like to get (and am willing to pay for with documentation of same)
38 > > an explanation of what exactly it is that sandbox does. (And probably a
39 > > couple of other pieces of portage.)
40 > >
41 > > I know it keeps things from messing with the real filesystem, but _how_,
42 > > specifically? It's much harder to figure out why you're having a problem
43 > > with something when you have no idea what it's doing.
44 > >
45 > > Since quasi-teaching somebody a language via email and such is not real high
46 > > on many people's list of fun things to do, I'll also put in a request for any
47 > > good online tutorials on doing Python. (And if the doc for portage still
48 > > needs to be done once I've mastered it, I'll be willing to help.)
50 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
51 > > gentoo-dev@g.o