From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage Info + Status Update
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:12:24
ALL DEVELOPERS SHOULD BE USING MASKED PORTAGES UNLESS YOU HAVE ISSUES
WITH THEM. I NEED THE FEEDBACK. Read the ChangeLog. Thank you.

What masking on portages means:
Doesn't exist  == It's not ready/usable for consumption.
package.masked == Tested locally and diffs reviewed.
~arch + p.m    == Transition to general testing (catalyst ok'd).
~arch          == Initial reports are good. General testing.
arch           == Stable.

To use development portages as recommended for devs:
# echo "sys-apps/portage" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
# echo "sys-apps/portage" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

Ok... Quick status update for portage...

STACKING PROFILES should be working IN STABLE as of a 3 weeks ago.
I haven't heard anything but "when stacking works" back in relation
to this, so I decided to email everyone (I'm way overdue for an
update anyway).

Start using repoman. If it is not adequate for your needs, TELL ME
WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE. Repoman is required to get Manifests and gpg
working properly in the tree. FEATURES="cvs" please.

What changed that relevant to you with 2.0.51:

Important:
/var/cache/edb/virtuals is gone. Delete the file. It is replaced by
on-demand calculation from the tree and USER changes in the file
/etc/portage/virtuals. DO NOT COPY THE OLD FILE INTO /etc/portage
or GenBot will have to smite you.

Important:
/var/cache/edb/world is moved. It should be handled automatically
for you. New location is /var/lib/portage/world. regenworld is
friendly and won't bite you. Remember that regenworld exists as
it is likely that users will be confused for a while. /var/lib
is a private directory for portage only -- 2770 root:portage

Important:
PORTAGE_CACHEDIR is now PORTAGE_DEPCACHEDIR as the name is misleading.
PORTAGE_CACHEDIR will eventually become what was /var/cache/edb.

Important:
extra_functions.sh is REMOVED. You must inherit eutils. ONLY INHERIT ONCE.

ChangeLog Summary:
FHS compliant enhancements (see important above for some info).
Lots and lots of little random-bugs fixes for normal usage.
Virtuals handling is improved.
GRP/Binary-downloading enhancements and 301,302 cross-server handling.
Cache speedups and better corruption handling.
  NOTE: No rsync cache for 51 yet, slow and noisy initially.
Lots of QA Notices (Gotta love 'em ;)
Category searching is now possible 'emerge -s @app-portage'
Fixed the spelling for the color formerly known as fucia.
PROVIDE is stored in the DB and referenced for dep calculation.
src_test is now available and enabled by FEATURES=maketest and disabled
  per ebuild by RESTRICT=maketest. It tries make test or make check.
Worldfile isn't updated unless a package is new on commandline.
package.keywords supports * (any-stable) and ~* (any) for arch development.
Lots of repoman fixes and enhancements.
--newuse rebuilds on use flag changes.
FEATURES="cvs" issue is fixed SO STOP HACKING AROUND IT PLEASE.
infodir regeneration errors fixes.
Multi-cache for multiple trees (CVS vs rsync via repoman, etc).

See the changelog for more intimate details and the who did what to whom.

2.0.51_pre11 is coming out soon with more updates.

--NJ