From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Isn't FILESDIR *the* FILESDIR?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:59:15
1 Michael Cummings posted <1111061186.8230.2.camel@××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:06:26 -0500:
3
4 > I have a bug open, 81947, where a chap is saying that the message I
5 > display at the end of the perl install is pointing to some path
6 > under /var/tmp that doesn't exist. But in the ebuild, I'm just pointing
7 > the user to $FILESDIR/perl-cleaner, like we always have. On my boxes
8 > this gets displayed as /usr/portage/yada ('cept when its in the overlay,
9 > but you know what I mean). Anyone shed any light on which one of us is
10 > off their rocker?
11
12 I've seen this -- I have $PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/tmp, and after installing the
13 binary package, which I'd previously created, the message says to run the
14 script /tmp/portage-pkg/perl-<ver>/inf/perl-cleaner, which of course
15 doesn't exist, at least a few seconds after that message is displayed,
16 because that dir has been cleaned by then. Further, looking at the binary
17 package to see where /it/ put it I couldn't find any file by that name in
18 the binary package either???, and the script didn't seem to be on my path,
19 so I decided running it couldn't be that important after all, or there'd
20 actually be a way to do so, and it would exist in the binary package to be
21 reextracted, if necessary.
22
23 Perhaps luckily, I don't have many perl packages installed, and I haven't
24 run into any problems with ebuilds failing due to it, so I'm not too
25 worried.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list