From: Christopher S Horler <chris@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Error (and fix) to upgrade to Gentoo 1.4
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:42:09
1 Currently if your system doesn't have usr on the root partition (i.e. on
2 another partition), following the suggested upgrade procedure will cause
3 a unbootable system.
4
5 The problem is bash is linked to libgcc on the usr partition, at the
6 stage when bash is called usr isn't mounted. I would suggest that
7 libgcc is always statically linked into the bash executable. I wouldn't
8 expect much change in the executable size but it would make for an
9 easier upgrade on systems like mine.
10
11 This can be accomplished by adding under the src_compile function in the
12 ebuild the following line.
13
14 LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -static-libgcc"
15
16 I have tested this on my system and the result at first glance seems
17 acceptable.
18
19 Note it is unacceptable to simply use the configure option for a static
20 executable offered by the configure script as this will cause the
21 portage build to hang.
22
23 Later,
24