From: Mark Guertin <mguertin@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 suggestion - bootstrap with distcc
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:58:19
1 On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 13:07, Ernesto wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm using distcc on my network and I'm really happy with it (I have a total of 5 Pentium III at my service!).
6 >
7 > It would be nice to have distcc available on the installation CD so it can be used on the bootstrap proccess.
8 > It will be disabled by default of course, but advanced user would like to enable it.
9 >
10 > Even when enabled there may be some packages that won't build correctly with distcc, but some (important) others will (like gcc and the kernel), so the bootstrap script should see if distcc is enabled and disable it for a given package if necesary.
13 In my testing I found that distcc is extremely unreliable at this
14 point. It might be a nice option to have available but I highly
15 reccomend not using it for bootstrap, etc. Even on things that look to
16 be compiling properly there have been some problems. This ws with 4
17 different versions of distcc so far, so just wanted people to be aware
18 of this.
19
20 Gerk