From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 22:17:29
1 On Sun, 2020-01-12 at 17:07 -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 12/5/2019 09:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o
4 > > > wrote:
5 > > > It's quite another to mask random packages that have USE flags to
6 > > > optionally support whatever python 2.7 library. If you're going
8 > > > last rites these, talk with the maintainer first, and only then,
9 > > > send
10 > > > emails one at a time. Doing that en masse isn't appropriate.
11 > >
12 > > ++ - I have no idea if that happened. For anything USE-controlled
13 > > it
14 > > would make more sense to file a bug or mask the package-flag combo
15 > > itself.
16 > >
17 > > > On another topic, I'd prefer for python 2.7 not to be removed
18 > > > from
19 > > > gentoo. Tons of code still uses it.
20 > > >
21 > >
22 > > I'm sure a million people would share that preference. I'm not
23 > > sure
24 > > what the upstream/security status is of 2.7. Obviously to keep it
25 > > around it would need to be reasonably secure, and somebody within
26 > > Gentoo would have to want to maintain it. That's basically the
27 > > criteria for keeping anything like this around. If somebody
28 > > stepped
29 > > up and said "I'm maintaining 2.7 and here is why it will remain
30 > > secure..." I doubt they'd get a lot of resistance.
33 > I'm late to the party as usual. Seems upstream plans a final 2.7.18
34 > security update in April of 2020, then they will consider the 2.7
35 > branch
36 > EOL. They say most of these updates were done in 2019, and so are
37 > still
38 > technically sticking to their mantra of no more updates after
39 > 01/01/2020.
40 >
41 > PEP 373 covers this:
42 > https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#release-schedule
43 >
44 > """
45 > Planned future release dates:
46 >
47 > 2.7.18 code freeze January, 2020
48 > 2.7.18 release candidate early April, 2020
49 > 2.7.18 mid-April, 2020
50 > """
51 >
52 > IMHO, I think we should retain 2.7.x compatibility for 1 year AFTER
53 > the
54 > release of 2.7.18. This provides some time for people to transition
55 > systems
56 > off of 2.7-dependent packages.
57 >
58 > It might be worthwhile to treat the removal of Python-2.7 from the
59 > tree in
60 > the same manner as an EAPI deprecation and removal, given how
61 > ingrained it
62 > is due to its longevity. That will minimize the whiplash-effect of
63 > emerge
64 > complaining about slot conflicts and dependency conflicts. Like I
65 > just ran
66 > into w/ setuptools-45.0.0.0's release.
69 Thanks for volunteering to help us manage the ton of packages that have
70 dropped py2 in the mean time. I wasn't aware you were part of the
71 python team, but I must have been mistaken!