From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:26:16
1 On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:18 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller:
3 >>
4 >> ChangeLogs are aimed at users
5 >
6 > Did any1 ask them if they care?
9 I'm sure somebody will reply and say that they care.
10
11 It still seems like a lot of overhead to me for a very one-off
12 workflow. Maybe if portage automatically output the relevant
13 changelog entries in pretend mode we could pretend that they're news
14 or something like that. Most likely, if you stick something important
15 in the changelog it will be read by maybe 0.1% of our users before
16 emerging the package. Maybe if you're lucky 20% of people running
17 into some kind of breakage will read the changelog after the fact. I
18 imagine that 19.5% of those 20% would check the git log if the
19 changelog didn't exist.
20
21 If we actually move to a model where many users actually sync their
22 trees from git, then I'd expect the changelogs to be even less useful.
23 After all, git will actually tell you what changed since your last
24 sync.
27 Rich