From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:50:06
1 On Sunday 25 March 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
3 > > It looks like our social contract doesn't prohibit Gentoo from being
4 > > dependent upon a single sponsor or corporation. In the interests of
5 > > keeping Gentoo run by the developers rather than any outside party, how
6 > > about the following addition to the Social Contract?
7 > >
8 > > <heading>We will be run by the Development Community</>
9 > > Gentoo will be run by the development community. We will never allow
10 > > ourselves to be reliant upon a single sponsor or corporation.
11 >
12 > As I understand it, Gentoo is a "tax-exempt foundation" registered in
13 > the state of New Mexico. As a result, there are legal restrictions on
14 > "sponsorship", etc. Before modifying the "Social Contract", I'd
15 > recommend consulting an attorney with expertise in such matters. The
16 > last thing Gentoo needs is major legal hassles.
17
18 your information is dated ... Gentoo is not a tax-exempt foundation
19 specifically so that we dont have to worry about getting screwed when a
20 single entity decided to donate a ton of cash ... in other words, most
21 foundations choose to be a 501(c)(3) so that donaters can have tax write offs
22 while Gentoo is a 501(c)(1)
23 -mike