From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: why? pciutils with zlib use-flag went stable on x86
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:44:47
1 On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 14:15 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > James Cloos wrote:
3 > > The pciutils ebuild should be re-engineered to use separate USE flags
4 > > for linking to libz and compressing the database.
5 > ++
6 > It may be what upstream (pciutils) do by default, but no other distro ships
7 > with compressed ids for the reasons you outline (and you can't mmap the
8 > file). It breaks a default desktop installation (aiui) so it really
9 > shouldn't use a default system-wide USE flag, but a local one. Anyone who
10 > really wants it can set it, and everyone else's machines will still work.
11 > As Mr Gianelloni spelt out on bugzilla[1]:
12 > "when you install from stage3, then immediately type "emerge [blah]", I
13 > would expect it to work. If it does not, then it is a failure in the
14 > ebuild and a bug... it is your responsility to ensure that your package is
15 > not broken with a default installation."
16
17 That isn't policy, as much as I would like it to be.
18
19 Also, both hal and zlib are in USE in the default profiles, so it does
20 work out of the box right now.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
25 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
26 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
27 Gentoo Foundation