From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: leio@×××××××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What happend to portage speed?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:18:47
1 Actually it seems most time is spent after each "...done" statement.
2
3 -John
4
5 söndagen den 31 augusti 2003 kl 16.16 skrev leio@×××××××××××××××××.org:
6
7 > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, John Nilsson wrote:
8 >
9 >> No, no. The download is quick. But the calculation of deptree and that
10 >> kind of things that takes so much time.
11 >>
12 >> Also what is this metadata directory? (Sorry for not RTFM).
13 >>
14 >> -John
17 > After every rsync it rebuilds the cache... at least by default.
18 > That's what takes the most time with an emerge sync on my 166MHz
19 > computer.
20 > It was discussed a while ago that the cache has changed maybe by 5%,
21 > but
22 > it does it all again. Parses some things, writes lots of files to
23 > cache,
24 > etc. There were ideas how to make it quick again, but unfortunately
25 > either
26 > no-one has brought it to reality or into the official portage.
27 > If that's not your speed problem, disregard this e-mail, but I believe
28 > this the most time demanding operation with emerge sync as of now.
29 >
30 > Mart Raudsepp
33 > --
34 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list