From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Post-install instructions
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 22:13:07
1 On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 19:51:34 -0600 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 06:06:25PM +0000, Collins Richey wrote:
4 > > I would like to work with you (and any other volunteers) to arrive at some post-install instructions for users to help them get a minimally usable system going. No one should need to reinvent the wheel. Something like the following:
5 > >
6 > > How to setup a new user (boring for most, but most of
7 > > the distros do this automagically)
8 > > How to set make and use variables (and what their
9 > > significance is)
10 > > Very brief instructions for portage
11 > > Maybe something about the init structure and other topics
12 > > (the Gentoo way of doing things)
13 > > XFree
14 > > XFCE (or another simple window manager)
15 > > sylpheed (the best choice for mail, since it's so simple)
16 > > Netscape (a browser would be nice)
17 > > Sound card (at least a few common types)
18 > > Printer support (cups and related items probably)
19 > > For many users, dialup support (I use cable, so I will be of
20 > > limited help here).
21 > > Perhaps some suggestions for upgrading to keep current
22 > >
23 > > As soon as I get up to speed with _rc5, I could prepare the XML documents, or I could drop back to _rc4 where I have that merged).
24 >
25 > I'm very interested in having you help with setup documentation. We already
26 > have a Desktop Guide that covers a lot of things (see the Web site) created by
27 > Grant Goodyear, but he's going to be relocating and becoming an Assistant
28 > Professor, so I'm sure he's going to be quite busy and could probably use some
29 > assistance. Grant?
32 I like the looks of this. I will plagiarize some of it and come up with what I think should be in a Minimal Desktop.
36 Collins Richey
37 Denver Area
38 Gentoo_rc5 XFCE