From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] last rites: app-accessibility/festival and reverse dependencies
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:14:15
On Mon, 13 May 2019 11:02:40 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 11:23:02PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote: > > On Sat, 11 May 2019 16:27:16 +0200 Andreas K. Huettel wrote: > > > # Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> (11 May 2019) > > > # Outdated, EAPI=2, unmaintained, segfaults immediately. > > > > Hm, it definitely doesn't segfault for me... > > Works like charm right now. > > ... > > > If someone wants to take them, go ahead. If nobody volunteers, I'll > > take at least festival and festival-ru after a few weeks. > > Everything else Andreas says is correct. > > Festival is outdated (2.4 is available upstream) and it is eapi 2, > so if we are going to maintain it, we need to bump and move to EAPI 7, > then we need to look into all of the reverse dependencies and either > update or remove them. > > Festival and its rdeps ar a beast, so if anyone wants to take them, > be prepared for a lot of work. Please leave the accessibility project > as a backup maintainer. I don't know how the sound project feels about > being involved in the maintenance, so imo ask them also.
I can't handle everything, so let's start from something small, one task per step. I think updating festival and some of its localizations will be a good start. I'm interesting in festival because quality of pronounced text is the best I know of and sometimes I have problems with "how to pronounce this stuff poperly". Best regards, Andrew Savchenko