From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] last rites: app-accessibility/festival and reverse dependencies
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:14:15
1 On Mon, 13 May 2019 11:02:40 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 11:23:02PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 11 May 2019 16:27:16 +0200 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > > # Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> (11 May 2019)
5 > > > # Outdated, EAPI=2, unmaintained, segfaults immediately.
6 > >
7 > > Hm, it definitely doesn't segfault for me...
8 > > Works like charm right now.
9 >
10 > ...
11 >
12 > > If someone wants to take them, go ahead. If nobody volunteers, I'll
13 > > take at least festival and festival-ru after a few weeks.
14 >
15 > Everything else Andreas says is correct.
16 >
17 > Festival is outdated (2.4 is available upstream) and it is eapi 2,
18 > so if we are going to maintain it, we need to bump and move to EAPI 7,
19 > then we need to look into all of the reverse dependencies and either
20 > update or remove them.
21 >
22 > Festival and its rdeps ar a beast, so if anyone wants to take them,
23 > be prepared for a lot of work. Please leave the accessibility project
24 > as a backup maintainer. I don't know how the sound project feels about
25 > being involved in the maintenance, so imo ask them also.
26
27 I can't handle everything, so let's start from something small, one
28 task per step. I think updating festival and some of its
29 localizations will be a good start.
30
31 I'm interesting in festival because quality of pronounced text is
32 the best I know of and sometimes I have problems with "how to
33 pronounce this stuff poperly".
34
35 Best regards,
36 Andrew Savchenko