From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:51:58
1 Hi Tim,
2
3 Am Samstag, 7. Oktober 2006 23:19 schrieb Tim Yamin:
4 > I'm afraid that I find that my position with Gentoo is no longer
5 > tenable. Over the past year and especially over the past few months
6 > the ability to keep Gentoo a coherent and smooth environment has been
7 > eroded and hindered at practically every opportunity by bad
8 > decisions, staff, and in some cases, downright incompetence.
9
10 I'm sorry to see you go, but i cannot agree with you here.
11 More below.
12
13 > It transpires that from the recent barrage of developers leaving, the
14 > disquiet and increasing lack of congruence of the developer (and to
15 > some extent also the user) communities that something is inherently
16 > wrong. I'm leaving it as an exercise to the reader to explore exactly
17 > what (if anything) is wrong.
18 Honestly, i think you're showing a weak shell here, but that's my
19 personal opinion. QA and council asked you to do something you didn't
20 like to do, and i still don't understand your reasoning.
21 Please think about this decision over a week or so.
22
23 Kloeri: Please don't file a retirement bug immediately.
24
25 > Seeing as we have failed to address these challenges over the course
26 > of many months and as a result of continuous recent discussions
27 > (which half the time end up being totally redundant due to
28 > miscommunication) both on -core and on -dev, it is evident that
29 > something is wrong with the core management (or lack thereof,
30 > depending on your point of view).
31 >
32 > I no longer have the commitment or desire to follow the road in
33 > solving the above challenges. I'm not really sure whether there even
34 > is a solution. I'd like to add that I have really enjoyed my time in
35 > the past three years working with Gentoo and helping to contribute to
36 > the then vibrant and dynamic community.
37
38 As have I while working with you, especially and mainly in release
39 engineering.
40
41 > Lately however, the "fun" and the motivation just hasn't been there
42 > for the reasons I've outlined above; it's finally taken its toll, and
43 > I believe the time to move onto new projects and ventures has finally
44 > come for me.
45 As longas you stay away from microphones ;-)
48 > I would like to wish all of you the very best, and would like to
49 > thank all of you who have (and haven't) made my time here so
50 > enjoyable.
51 Thank you very much
52
53 > So long, and thanks for all the fish...
54 I think you oughta know that I'm feeling very depressed :-(
55
56 Danny, who hopes to see you again next year!
57 --
58 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
59 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
60 --
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list