From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Don't require assignment of empty variables in ebuilds?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:54:42
1 Our current policy [1] requires that ebuilds must assign the seven
2 variables DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, SRC_URI, LICENSE, SLOT, KEYWORDS, and
3 IUSE, even if their value is empty.
4
5 Could we drop this requirement? Repoman already enforces that
6 DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, LICENSE, SLOT, and KEYWORDS are non-empty
7 (with some exceptions for virtuals). I don't see why we need to
8 distinguish the "empty value" and "not assigned" cases.
9
10 For example, many live ebuilds already don't define SRC_URI. I'm not
11 aware of any problems caused by this.
12
13 Ulrich
14
15 [1] <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/#required-variables>