From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: ulm@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:49:06
1 On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:31:54 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, grozin wrote:
5 >
6 > > Maybe, a good solution is to introduce a special arch, "noarch", for
7 > > such packages (similar to what's done in the rpm world). Then, if a
8 > > package is ~noarch, it is automatically considered ~arch for all
9 > > arches. Similar for stable. The maintainer should be able to keyword
10 > > ~noarch and to stabilize noarch. Comments?
11 >
12 > How would you handle dependencies in such a scenario? All dependencies
13 > must be keyworded or stable on all architectures, before the package
14 > can be keyworded or stabilised on noarch?
15
16 Maybe we can let the package managers only perceive it as keyworded or
17 stable if all of its dependencies are keyworded or stable on the
18 architecture that the user runs. Then we can have repoman just ignore
19 checking dependencies' keywords when we keyword or stabilize them.
20
21 Not sure how implementable this idea is though...
24 With kind regards,
25
26 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
27 Gentoo Developer
28
29 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
30 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
31 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D