From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] doing away with gnome-libs
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 20:37:05
1 Hi All,
2
3 I think that we need to eliminate gnome-libs and move all of its contents to
4 other *-libs directories. The reason? The existence of gnome-libs creates
5 lots of problems for other non-gnome programs that use these libraries. For
6 example, I'm trying to install libxslt on the server, which lives in
7 gnome-libs. The problem is that it installs itself into /opt/gnome/libs.
8 However, since I don't have gnome on my server, the libraries and binaries
9 aren't found by other programs. To eliminate problems like this, I think we
10 should:
11
12 1. remove gnome-libs
13 2. create new categories as Achim suggests (ml/markup-libs, etc)
14 3. move the contents of gnome-libs to other *-libs categories
15 4. ensure that these libraries install into /usr/lib --
16 if they depend on X, /usr/X11R6/lib
17 5. ensure that gnome finds and links to the libraries in these
18 new locations.
19
20 And, I think it would be best if we avoid storing libraries in /opt/gnome/lib
21 and /opt/kde/lib unless they *absolutely, positively* will never be used for
22 anything but a KDE or GNOME app. If there is even a slight possibility that
23 they could be used for a non-GNOME or non-KDE app, they should be stored in
24 /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib to allow for maximum flexibility on non-KDE and
25 GNOME systems.
26
27 Best Regards,
30 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>