From: Greg Aumann <Greg_Aumann@×××.org>
To: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenSource and Business
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:01:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 | Name any company on the Street and they use Linux. I know for sure that
6 | Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch do. I've heard anecdotally that Morgan,
7 | Citi, JPMorgan and BONY all do as well.
8 |
9 | --kurt
10 The following was posted to another linux list I subscribe to. I think
11 it addresses your question quite well. I am just quoting the original
12 message which quotes the article mentioned below.
13
14 - -------------------------------
15 This quote comes from the Linux Journal, Nov, 2004, pg 48 in an
16 article by Doc Searls.
17
18 First, a little intro.
19
20 There was a breakout session at the conference called "Commercial OSS
21 Business." It had a panel comprising fairly big names from Novell,
22 Apache, Matrix Partners (a Venture Capital firm specializing in OSS),
23 Microsoft and MySQL. However, the person who stole the session was in
24 the audience. Phil Moore, the Executive Director of the UNIX
25 Engineering team at Morgan Stanley. This is how he began:
26
27 ~ I work for the 38th largest company in the world, Morgan
28 ~ Stanley. We have a billion-dollar IT budget. And we use a
29 ~ little of everything. Unfortunately. Excuse me, a LOT of
30 ~ everything. The trend I've seen in the last ten years...is the
31 ~ exponential growth in the variety and the depth and breadth of
32 ~ installation of open-source software in our infrastructure....
33 ~ What I'm seeing is that in the infrastructure, the core
34 ~ infrastructure, open source is going to take over, leaps and
35 ~ bounds.... I'm predicting, right now, that by 2006 or 2007,
36 ~ we're going to be a 90% Linux shop.
37
38 He goes on to say a few more quite intriguing things including looking
39 at the Microsoft gentleman and saying, "You can have the desktop...I
40 don't want it." Later he said, and this is where the international
41 flavor comes in: "I will bet my career that Microsoft is going to get
42 wiped out on the desktop in the next ten years. Not in this country."
43 Turning to the Microsoft guy he says, "You're going to own it here
44 because America loves you guys. You're set, for at least ten years."
45 Turning back to the audience he continued:
46
47 ~ Look overseas at what's happening [with Linux]. It doesn't
48 ~ matter what distribution. Because [Linux is] economical for
49 ~ people in foreign countries. It lests them invest in their own
50 ~ local software companies without putting money into these guy's
51 ~ pockets [indicates Microsoft] or some other foreign corporation
52 ~ that doesn't have a vested interest in your own economy and your
53 ~ own culture. That's giong to be the number one reason why open
54 ~ source ends up taking over the planet.
55
56 Lastly (author speaking), please note the above quotes of Phil
57 Moore are taken verbatim from Doc Searls. The rest is barely a
58 parphrase of Doc's words in the article--any credit should go to him.
59
60 Greg
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list