From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:32:58
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Give the talk on the list about attracting devs, I've should probably
4 mention that I'm teaching a College Course on Gentoo Development next
5 semester. I know two students will most likely go through the
6 recruitment process, others may at least contribute. So its like GSoC
7 but the focus is not one project but an overview of general gentoo
8 development, and I will have to touch on lots of stuff outside of gentoo
9 per se, like how autotools and other build systems work.
10
11 So what should I teach? Here's what I've got off the top of my head:
12
13 1. Open source communities and Gentoo's internal political structure.
14
15 2. Building a gentoo system, ie the handbook. Gentoo as metadistribution.
16
17 3. Delivering the goods: code -> build system -> portage -> compiled
18 goodies -> working system
19
20 4. How to work with gnu autotools. Writing a build system.
21
22 5. How to write ebuilds, ie the dev manual. How to work with cvs and git.
23
24 6. Arches, arch testing. Profiles.
25
26 7. Building stages. Catalyst.
27
28 Somewhere in there I'll squeeze in Gentoo's "alt" factor: alternative c
29 libs, alternative compilers and hardening, alternative kernels, prefixes.
30
31 Please comment. If it gets systematized enough, it can be a guide to
32 future devs too. Everything will be creative commons.
35 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
36 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
37 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
39 GnuPG ID : D0455535